Friday, October 27, 2006

The Koop tie question

I haven't heard any customer comments about similarities to the Confederate flag before yours, Family Doc. Here is an explanation of the design elements so you can discuss them with curious friends.

Dr. Koop helped design his tie with certain symbolism in mind. The blue stripe with white stars represents his government and military service, and is reproduced from the same pattern shown on his commemorative coin, presented to him by the Navy. (Dr. Koop's stripes do not cross at any point, as they do in the Confederate battle flag.) Red was chosen for the background since Dr. Koop only likes red ties, especially with dress whites. The gold caduceus symbols represent the medical profession. Together, these three elements are intended to be simultaneously patriotic and medical.



Dr. Koop is very pleased with his tie, and I hope you are, as well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I have had one person also make reference to the bow looking like the rebel flag. I dismissed it until I read your blog today.

Anonymous said...

Bill:

Thanks for the info! The next time I wear my Koop, I'll let 'em know.

Just got my Christmas ties out...can't wait until the Friday after Thanksgiving!

--Family Doc in Illinois

Algernon said...

Fascinating. I did not think of the Confederate flag, either.

ThunderScot1505 said...

I actually thought of the Stars and Bars as soon as I saw it. I would have bought it if it weren't for the serpent and pole...I'm a lawyer not a doctor!

I'd love to see y'all produce a good tie with the Confederate Battle Flag theme. I'd not only purchase one myself, but buy loads of them for gifts, and direct many others to the source of so much joy.

As a side note, it is not properly a "rebel" flag. The Confederacy formed because of the Constitution-disregarding "rebels" elsewhere in the country.

The law is supreme under the Constitution (at least it was), and the side disregarding the Constitution is the side in rebellion. The Confederacy saw itself as preserving constitutional republicanism from the consolidating centralization of Lincoln the tyrant.

That said, it is worth noting that on 5 different occasions prior to the formation of the C.S.A., the New England states threatened secession if they didn't get their way in Congress. And lastly (then I'll sit down and be quiet), just a few years prior to the War, none other than Senator Lincoln made an impassioned speech on the floor of the Senate about the right of secession as one of the grounds of liberty...apparently when convenient for him.

Probably more than you cared to know, but perhaps it will explain the continuing desire of many sons of the South to honor our forefathers who fought valiantly in the face of impossible odds for the rule of law, and the right of self-government.

Thanks for the great ties!
Matthew A. Bryan